Sunday, January 9, 2011

Easy Hot Fudge Gifts

I was blog stalking over at Our Best Bites and came across a heavenly combination of ingredients, it screamed "make me as gifts".  It was the easiest hot fudge ever to make and people loved it!! My cousin ate it right from the jar as we opened presents! 

I wanted to be frugal this holiday season, I thought about making cookie mix in a jar, homemade spice mixes but nothing I came up with seemed like EVERYONE would like it while being holiday-ish too! Then when I came across the recipe, they had them in the cutest little jars but I didnt have time to print the cute tags so I just had to make my own...

Anyway...ready for a super yummy treat?

It is only 3 ingredients:
-a can (the normal size...i dont know ounces) of sweetened condensed milk
- half a stick of butter (unsalted)
-1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional: I added a little peppermint extract to a few of my batches...I like the lil zip it added to it!

How much it will make will (obviously) depend on the size of your jar or container that you are putting it in.  I used pint jars and it made enough for about 2 1/2 jars!
I made 10 jars, all you do is melt it all together! I did mine in a make-shift double boiler because I dont have much luck with melting in the microwave.  You could just dump the 3 ingredients in but I chose to do it by melting the butter, then adding the chocolate chips until those were melted then stirring in the sweetened condensed milk until its all combine.  It came together super quick, even though I took a little longer to combine all of them in order to make sure I didnt burn it!
What didn't go so quickly was the making of my decorative lids! First I started with the rims- I hot glued ribbon around them then glued a mint on it to cover where the ribbon ends met. Some of the jars I also made mini ribbon flowers before I put on the mint- they are more in the background of this picture.
The flowers and the hot gluing took me longer then I expected, but Im also the one who ALWAYS drops what she just put hot glue on and grabs it and burns herself so that slows me down! After those were done, I made the little hot fudge tags just with a sharpie and index cards that I cut into a circle.
I just then hot glued the tags onto the tops of the lids...a close up! 
I then had a cute idea to wrap it in green and red tissue paper, but I had one small problem. It was about 4pm on Christmas Eve and we didnt have colored tissue paper, so I wrapped them in white and tied them with red ribbon...
And there you have it- super cute gifts! Now, I know some of you are thinking "um, Christmas is over, this is no help" but just follow along with me for a second....if you used different colors of ribbon and tissue paper, these could be used for any occasion! 

Pink and red ribbon and tissue paper = Valentine's Day
Shades of green= St. Patrick's Day
Red, White, and Blue = Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day (how cute would this be to give out to veterans in your life as gifts during these holidays!)

You can also use it as party favors- use the colors of your party (birthday parties, wedding showers, baby showers)

Overall these are super cheap to make but look adorable too...oh and you cant forget...DELICIOUS!


2 comments:

  1. I awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. See my blog post for details: http://thebeehive13.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-got-award-for-my-blogawww.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are super cute and looking yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love <3